Rayna documents herself throughout her breast cancer experience

Eighteen months ago, I was following up on a lump that I had. I had it examined and was told it was fibrous tissue and to come back if it got bigger. I should have gone four months earlier than I did. I had been to the radiologist many times and was always told that everything was fine. NOT this time. I had a mass that was found by an ultrasound that needed to be checked immediately.

I will never forget the day the breast surgeon told me to expect a 90% chance it’s cancer, a 10% chance it’s not. The words “You have cancer” are life changing and unreal to hear. I went on to have a lumpectomy, then chemo and then a double mastectomy. I still don’t believe the words.

I am cancer free now; it was Stage 2 when it was found and I was told on Nov. 28, 2013 that they got it all. People have told me that I was so brave and their hero, but I simply did what needed to be done to live to raise my 12-year-old son. We can beat this and everyone should know that there is a future. Fight and stay strong and mostly have faith.